Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Technical Fun!

Well, after my long, rambling previous post I figured I should write a more concise one.  I had some more technical things about SL I wanted to write about.  I didn't think they would go very well with my talk about my feelings in the post below, plus it was long enough already.

I finally started doing the volunteer work for LWB that I said I would do, which was creating a place in SL full of information about the group.  Essentially, I'm supposed to build a virtual LWB pamphlet.  I couldn't find the script I got for attaching notecards to objects, so I looked online about how to do it.  I found a great tool for creating SL scripts at www.3greeneggs.com.  It's as simple as can be.  You tell the site what you want your script to do by checking off predetermined boxes and then the site creates the script.  You then copy the script and paste it into the "New Script" area in the "Content" section of an object.  Now your object will follow that script!  It's as easy as that.  You don't have to know anything about coding or how a script works or anything.  Finding this out was very exciting for me.  I love learning about stuff like this and feeling like I've got some control in the virtual world.  Actually, before I created my script I put some effort into building an object for the first time.  It was fun!  I learned how to apply a texture, move the object, copy an object, and link copied objects.  It was really great.  I still have a lot more work to do in setting up the LWB area, but now that I am at least a little bit technically proficient I can get more creative.  I don't have to just put a bunch of boxes on the ground and dump some notecards in them.  It's funny how technical stuff like creating a script or copying an object is dull to talk about (which of my friends would be interested in hearing about how to copy a virtual box?), yet is fun to accomplish.  No one wants to know how you learned to do an ollie on your skateboard, but everyone wants to see you do it.  It's a great feeling to figure that stuff out though!

No comments:

Post a Comment